Chinese Army Fires Ballistic Missiles, ED Summons Varsha Raut, Olympic Sport of Triathlon Allows Transgender Women to Compete: Headlines | Let’s Catch Up Ep-56
Updated: Aug 04, 2022 20:58 (IST)
- After the announcement of the verdict of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) in the foreign funding case against former Prime Minister Imran Khan’s political party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), the ruling coalition government , under the leadership of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, decided to take full advantage of this opportunity and ensure the disqualification of the former Prime Minister in the so-called “Operation Clean Sweep” against the PTI and its President .
- Tension around self-governing Taiwan reached unprecedented levels on Thursday after the Chinese military fired ballistic missiles into the waters around it during intense live-fire exercises as the People’s Liberation Army (PLA ) circled the island from six directions, blocking it from the sea as well as from the air.
- President Joe Biden on Wednesday signed an executive order that lays the groundwork for Medicaid to help women seeking abortions travel between states to access the procedure. Details are still being worked out and the administration faces a difficult legal landscape because it is illegal to use federal funds to pay for abortions unless the woman’s life is in danger or the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest.
- India and the United States will hold a two-week-plus mega military exercise in Auli, Uttarakhand in October amid a rapidly evolving regional security scenario. The 18th edition of the “Yudh Abhyas” exercise is scheduled for October 14-31, sources in the defense and military establishment said on Wednesday.
- On Thursday, Congress Leader Rahul Gandhi criticized the Bharatiya Janata Party-led government for its “pressure tactics” aimed at silencing opposition leaders using central agencies. “We are not afraid of [Prime Minister] Narendra Modi… do what you want. It’s not important.” The comments came a day after security was tightened at Congress headquarters and outside the residence of party leader Sonia Gandhi after the law (ED) sealed the office of Young Indian Pvt Ltd (YI) at Herald House in New Delhi.The action was taken amid ED’s ongoing money laundering investigation linked to the National newspaper Herald.
- The Law Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Thursday summoned Shiv Sena MP’s wife, Sanjay Raut, Varsha, in connection with alleged money laundering in the Patra’ Chawl redevelopment case. ‘. The summons came hours after Raut’s pre-trial detention in the emergency room was extended by the court in the case. The ED said summonses were issued after transactions made on Varsha Raut’s account were discovered. During Thursday’s court hearing on the custody of Sanjay Raut ED, the ED said that an amount worth ₹1.08 crore was received in Varsha Raut’s account by unrelated persons. The MP for Rajya Sabha was arrested on Sunday evening after hours of searching his home.
- United Nations, Aug 3 (PTI): India will host Security Council diplomats from 15 UN nations in October for a special meeting on counter-terrorism. India is halfway through the second year of its two-year term as an elected non-permanent member of the UN Security Council. India’s tenure on the council will end in December this year when the country will also preside as chairman of the powerful UN body for the month. India chairs the Security Council’s Counter-Terrorism Committee for 2022 and will host Security Council diplomats from 15 nations including the United States, China and Russia in October for the special meeting of the Counter-Terrorism Committee .
- The Indian Army and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) withdrew their soldiers from the Gogra-Hot Springs area, which was one of the flashpoints on the ALC, to their permanent bases a few days after the 12th round of military talks held between Commander of Officer Corps ranked as of July 31, 2021. “No further disengagements have taken place in the past year. Four rounds of military dialogue took place after the last round of disengagement but the situation on the ground has not changed,” said one of the officials quoted above, asking not to be named.
- Actor Mithilesh Chaturvedi, known for starring in several movies and shows such as Gadar: Ek Prem Katha, Koi Mil Gaya, My Friend Pinto, Phata Poster Nikla Hero and Ready among others, died on August 3 in Lucknow. He apparently suffered from heart disease. The actor would have breathed his last in the city, where he was being treated. Reports claim that the actor suffered a heart attack earlier and therefore returned to his hometown to recuperate.
- A cinematic sequel to the Oscar-winning psychological thriller Joker, based on one of the world’s most well-known comic book villains, is set to hit theaters on October 4, 2024, a spokesperson for film distributor Warner Bros. said Wednesday. Joker: Folie a Deux, will feature Joaquin Phoenix reprising his role as the title character, which won him the Oscar for best actor in the 2019 original film portraying an origin story for the superhero’s nemesis. DC Comics’ Batman, according to the studio’s spokesperson
- Actor-singer Selena Gomez is in talks with 20th Century Studios to develop a reboot of the 1988 comedy Working Girl. Directed by Mike Nichols, Lana Pena, creator of the Disney+ series Diary of a Future President, adapts the screenplay for the film.
- Buddy comedy Jahaan Chaar Yaar is set to be released on September 16, the makers announced Thursday. Directed by Kamal Pandey, the film also stars Meher Vij, Pooja Chopra and Shikha Talsania. Jahaan Chaar Yaar chronicles the journey of four married friends who leave for Goa to seek solace in their ordinary lives and find themselves on “an extraordinary adventure”.
- The Olympic sport of triathlon said on Wednesday that transgender women could continue to compete in its women’s category at international events, although it imposed stricter eligibility rules. World Triathlon is taking a less strict line than swimming’s governing body FINA, which effectively banned transgender athletes from women’s international competition in June and proposed creating an “open” category.
- Half-centuries of Reeza Hendricks and Aiden Markram helped South Africa beat Ireland by 21 points on Wednesday in the first of two Twenty20 internationals. Hendricks, who starred in his country’s recent win over England, hit 74 from 53 in the day-night game at Bristol as the Proteas reached 211 for five.
- The Indian team has already won 18 medals including 5 gold, 6 silver and 7 bronze. On Saturday, Mirabai Chanu headlined a four-medal tally with her gold in the women’s 49kg event. After winning India’s fourth medal at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, the Imphal wonder woman has given a glimpse of what she can do in high-level weightlifting.
- Sensex and Nifty end lower amid volatility; IT, pharmaceutical gain, real estate drags
- Cipla, Nestlé, Sun Pharma, Infosys, JSW Steel were among the main winners of the Nifty. Losers included Coal India, SBIN, Reliance, Axis Bank, Powergrid.